Human Rights Award
The Gwynne Skinner Human Rights Award was created in memory of ICAR Advisor and close friend Professor Gwynne Skinner. The award is presented in conjunction with the ICAR Annual Meeting to an individual or organization that has made a significant contribution to corporate accountability that year.
Professor Gwynne Skinner was a Professor of Law at Willamette University. Professor Skinner also worked as an ICAR Advisor for over six years, serving as a resource, guide, mentor, and friend to the ICAR community. Her work litigating on the front lines of corporate accountability, producing scholarship, and thought-leadership on access to remedy, parent company accountability, and a range of other issues put her at the forefront of the agenda on business and human rights.
Steve Hitov, General Counsel, Coalition of Immokalee Workers (2019). Read the Announcement
How to Submit a Nomination
ICAR is pleased to announce that we are accepting nominations for the Gwynne Skinner Human Rights Award. Please email nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit nominations is Friday, August 7, 2020. All nominations will be kept confidential. If you would like to nominate someone to be recognized for this award, please complete all components below in a nomination letter:
- Name of individual or organization;
- Details on the specific contribution to the field of corporate accountability achieved that year;
- Three references, including email addresses and phone numbers, for individuals that can attest to the contribution.
The award will be presented on Sept. 30, the last day of ICAR’s Annual Meeting virtual series. For more information on the nomination process or annual meeting, please contact either Melissa Tuck at email@example.com or Basma Humadi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Selection Committee of leaders in corporate accountability as well as family members of Gwynne have been appointed to lead in the selection of the recipient.
The Selection Committee includes:
- Anita Ramasastry, University of Washington School of Law
- Paul Hoffman, Schonbrun DeSimone Spell & Hoffman LLP
- Amol Mehra
- Katie Gallagher, Center for Constitutional Rights
- Melissa Tuck, ICAR
- Ari Alvarez, Nathan Cummings Foundation
- Beth Skrypzak, Gwynne Skinner’s wife